Media Relations 101
1. Identify real news within your organization.
2. Be first in identifying an interesting industry trend.
3. Develop a targeted media list.
4. Get to know the reporters covering your industry.
5. Be forthright.
6. Be available.
7. Never, ever lie.
8. Pro-actively pitch the good news and be available to comment on the bad.
Community Relations 101
1. Identify your key stakeholders.
2. Understand what is important to them.
3. Focus your community outreach and chartiable giving around things meaningful to your key stakeholders.
4. Be involved in your community and industry.
5. Be a leader.
6. Communicate regularly with your key stakeholders.
7. Be accessible.
8. Extend yourself to those in need.
Issues Management 101
1. Identify potential issues when they're small and solve them.
2. If an issue arises, deal with it.
3. Assemble your appropriate in-house team and external consultants and lay everything on the table...the good, bad and ugly.
4. If you did something wrong, fess up.
5. Develop a comprehensive communications program.
6. Talk to your employees first, followed by your other key stakeholders.
7. Develop third-party allies before a crisis hits. They can add important credibility in your recovery campaign.
8. Be responsible for your actions and compensate those impacted by your mistake.